HANDS-ON ‘LEARNING BY DOING’
Given its unrivaled geographic, architectural and natural diversity – and world renowned, professional film crews – the Western Cape film industry in particular and the South African film and TV industries at large – have enjoyed a sustained surge in local and international productions over the last 25 years.
To retain and grow this global reputation – and keep pace with this growth and development – and to continue to provide a diverse, representative, globally competitive trainee, intern, crew and Head of Department resource base, there needs to be sustained human capital development and a constant infusion of emerging, committed, professional talent into the industry.
Whether you are a secondary or tertiary education graduate – entering the formal film industry poses real challenges in terms of life, occupational & entrepreneurial skills – especially given South Africa’s historic ‘apartheid’ legacy.
There is no substitute for gaining hands-on ‘Learning-by-Doing’ In-service training experience under mentorship on real local and international productions – which we offer through the SA FILM Academy, acquiring the vital life, occupational & entrepreneurial skills required, most-often working with expensive, sophisticated, industry-standard equipment – under relentless time and budgetary pressures, with seasoned industry professionals.
- Multi-disciplinary, on-set, remunerated, In-service ‘Learning by Doing’ skills development & training with professionals in the film, TV and new media industries.
- Master-classes & workshops coupled with on-set, hands-on ‘Learning-by-Doing’ training on local and international productions and in production companies.
- Opportunity to work on local and international projects through partnerships with National Lotteries Commission Lotto, MICT Seta and private sector-funded local and international professional productions.
- Hands-on instruction and training, working with professional equipment rental facilities & studios such as Atlantic Film Studios, Media Film Service, Panalux & Panavision (cameras, sound gear, lights, production vehicles, units, genny ops etc.) in their facilities and on local and international productions.
- FILM counselling to include resume preparation, job research, introduction to; and references for crewing agencies, as well as ongoing fixed-term contract crew, emerging management and HoD recommendation and placement.
- Entrepreneurial, life and occupational skills development taking an idea from origination through independent production to marketing and distribution.